Saturday, July 15, 2006

Let's Start at the Beginning


Well, (gulp) here goes...

I am officially stepping into the 21st century and I've decided to create my own blog to keep everyone up to date on news, events, happenings of interest, and ponderings related to my studio art work.

A bit of obligatory background info: I am an artist based in Seattle, Washington who uses watercolor, graphite pencil and collaged prints to create works on paper with a hushed, meditative mood. I depict Geisha, floating cloud forms and floral imagery in assembled, patchwork-like compositions that are intended to spark associations for the viewer while producing a quieting or calming effect.

I have a fairly unique background. I was born in Hawaii and spent time on both the East and West Coasts as well as Misawa, Japan before my 9th birthday. My teen years were spent blowing glass and working in the kitchen at The Pilchuck Glass School in Stanwood, Washington, which is the famous stomping ground for Seattle's International Glass Guru, Dale Chihuly.

I intended to follow in the footsteps of my very talented, glass artist mother, Judith LaScola, until discovering the printshop at Pilchuck. I began learning about monoprinting by assisting Italo Scanga, a family friend and a prolific painter, sculptor and printmaker. I was hooked on the printshop and ended up attending the University of Washington's printmaking program.

Right after graduating magna cum laude from the University of Washington's Printmaking Program in 2001 I spent time at Pilchuck as the printshop coordinator, then returned to Seattle where I've been exhibiting at a variety of local venues. I currently operate my studio in The Tashiro Kaplan Arts Building located at 3rd Ave South and South Washington Street in Seattle's Pioneer Square Neighborhood. The area is known for it's galleries, artist lofts, bars and nightclubs. If you'd like to learn more about the Tashiro Kaplan Building there is much information about the project and its inhabitants at www.tashirokaplan.com.

No comments: